Thursday, 22 October 2015

Education, Careers & CF - Zainab's Story

Today as part of our Young People's Week, we're looking at education & careers. Managing cystic fibrosis can be a challenge not just at home, but also outside of it, which is why we've asked Zainab Nasim to tell us about her experience, having recently graduated from university.
My name is Zanib and I have cystic fibrosis. I recently graduated from Manchester University with a degree in Pharmacy. Needless to say, it was tough studying at university and coping with cystic fibrosis. There were many times when I had to study in hospital and it was difficult, but you just have to stick by it. My final year, as you can imagine, was one of the toughest years. Most of you probably know the fine balance between your treatment and work/study life – it sure is hard to juggle both at the same time.

I just about managed to work it out in my final year by being very strict with myself, which meant I had to do all of my treatments and exercise at specific times as well as studying. I personally think that this routine is the one that got me to success – as well as hard work and determination! Of course, I moaned to my parents and siblings all the time!

After everything, I graduated with a first in Pharmacy and at the moment I am doing my pre-registration year, which is a training year before I qualify (hopefully). It is very different to what I was used to at university and it has been hard to get used to the routine. However, I have been able to maintain my health, thankfully. This is down to having a strict treatment routine.

But I always say this and will continue to say this: if anyone can do it, then why not me? Nothing is impossible – it’s just hard work, determination and motivation. Not to mention all of the tears, as well! But I can say that the sun still shines after a storm, and we just have to remember that.

Did you know people with CF can get help to go into further and higher education? The Jospeh Levy Education Fund provide grants to support people with cystic fibrosis.

No comments:

Post a Comment