Thursday 27 June 2013

CF Week 2013: Sam's Blog

Sam appeared in our CF Week campaign in 2011, when he was on the waiting list for a lung transplant. After coming through five years on the waiting list, the operation itself and some post-transplant health scares, he is now enjoying being a teenager and looking to the future.


Hi I'm Sam, I am 14 years old and am one of the feature case studies in this year's CF Week. You can watch my video here.

I was pleased that the topic of CF Week this year is transplantation as this is a theme close to my heart.

I waited for five years for my transplant call to come. I was 13 when my call came and the operation was carried out at Great Ormond Street. When the call came we were blue lighted to the hospital, I remember feeling really excited but really scared at the same time! We got final confirmation of the transplant at 03.00 in the morning.

I was lucky to get my transplant in time and now I'm looking forward to the future. I will be choosing my GCSE options soon; I'm joining in with sports again, going out with family and friends and being a teenager. I can't say it’s been an easy year and we've had some health scares post transplant but I'm here and cystic fibrosis is not gong to stop me.

I am pleased that the Cystic Fibrosis Trust is highlighting the problems for people in getting a transplant in time, and starting a consultation on to how to improve rates of transplant and informed choice for children and adults who find themselves on the transplant list. I hope that everyone gets their call in the end. 

So please get involved with CF Week. I will be doing my own big bounce and there are lots of other ways to raise funds too. Visit www.cysticfibrosis.org.uk/cfweek for ideas and help the Cystic Fibrosis Trust carry on its work to improve the lives of people like me.

Sam x

1 comment:

  1. Hi, my name is Martha and I am currently writing a 5000 word essay on living with CF, I hope this isn't too forward of me but and I'm really interested in getting people doing just that to answer a couple of questions for me.
    I have a survey at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FW2ZBFZ and it would be super great. All the questions are completely optional and confidential, and there is a full disclaimer on the first page of the survey before answering any questions.
    I would love for you to be able to help me, no worries if not!
    Any queries feel free to direct them to my facebook: www.facebook.com/sheepy06
    Thanks so much in advance! :)

    ReplyDelete