Thursday, 4 September 2014

Transformational Treatments in Cystic Fibrosis

Today is the UK CF Conference, Britain's largest event dedicated to multidisciplinary cystic fibrosis work. We were honoured this morning to have Preston W. Campbell III, MD, Executive Vice President for Medical Affairs at the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (our US counterpart) deliver a keynote on transformational treatments. Below, Dr Campbell gives more insight into this groundbreaking work.

It is an exciting time in cystic fibrosis. We have achieved remarkable improvements 
in the health and survival of those living with CF in the U.S. and U.K. over the last several decades, primarily due to advancements in CF care and the development of new therapies targeting the symptoms of CF. 


By the late 1990s, we had learned a great deal about the recently discovered CF protein, CFTR, but that information had not been translated into new CFTR-based therapies. To spur the development of new treatments, the CF Foundation began a new program focused on applying new drug discovery technology to treating the basic defect—the faulty CFTR protein—and funded a number of novel research collaborations. 

Vertex was successful in identifying small molecule compounds that targeted CFTR, and in 2012, ivacaftor was approved for patients with the G551D mutation after clinical trials demonstrated that it was safe and had remarkable clinical benefits. 

It is likely that ivacaftor will treat 15% of CF patients as it is approved for other CF patient groups. The most common mutation, F508del, has an additional problem and requires a different approach to treat effectively. 

Recently, a Phase 3 clinical trial was completed in patients with two copies of F508del, who were treated with ivacaftor in combination with another potential therapy, lumacaftor. Patients on the combination drug experienced improvements in lung function, reduction in pulmonary exacerbations and improved weight gain. 

This combination therapy will now be submitted to regulatory agencies for approval for patients with two copies of F508del (50% of patients). Another corrector is being evaluated for patients with only one F508del mutation. 

In addition, a robust new screening effort has been underway for over three years that will improve the efficacy of treatment for those with one or two F508del mutations. New screens are also ongoing for those with rare mutations, including nonsense mutations. If these programs are successful, 98% of CF patients could potentially be treated with these transformational therapies. The remaining 2% of the CF population will need other approaches, such as gene therapy, that replace CFTR or strategies that bypass the defective protein. These potential new therapies hold great promise for the CF community, and I am proud to be a part of this effort.

2 comments:

  1. It is so good to see something very interesting in your site that I can't stop on reading. This is so good article ever. Thank you for sharing and for inspiring your readers. Have a good day always!

    wendy

    www.n8fan.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a sign of gratitude for how my son was saved from cystic fibrosis , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son suffered cystic fibrosis in the year 2013 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have shortness of breath , and he always complain of burning in the chest . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and he left the contact of the doctor who had the cure to cystic fibrosis. I never imagined cystic fibrosis has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.cystic fibrosis has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get the medication. Thanks for reading my testimony.

    ReplyDelete